Quebec Premier François Legault is defending his government’s plan to implement restrictions in Montreal and other regions as they enter the province’s highest maximum novel coronavirus alert level.
“We are capable of breaking this second wave,” he told reporters Tuesday, adding the province had to act as COVID-19 cases rise.
The red zone designation comes with additional restrictions to stem the tide of the virus, including prohibiting social gatherings and closing bars, theatres and cinemas. The new measures comes into effect on Thursday for a 28-day period.
Legault said the objective to limit citizens’ exposure to the respiratory illness and he called specifically on young Quebecers to abide by the public health directives.
“The solution is in your hands,” he said.
Quebec reported 799 new cases Tuesday as the health crisis once again bears down on the province hardest hit by the pandemic.
Seven more deaths linked to COVID-19 were also recorded. Health authorities say two people died in the last 24-hour period, while the other five deaths occurred earlier in the month.
The caseload, the highest in the country, stands at 73,450. The death toll is now 5,833.
Hospitalizations jumped by 35 from the previous day to 247. Of those patients, four more are in intensive care for a total of 41.
The number of tests given on Sunday, the latest day for which that information is available, is 26,366. To date, 2,309,387 tests have been administered.
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.