Quebec ‘must do better’ as COVID-19 cases stabilize but pandemic progresses in some areas: Legault

As the second wave of the novel coronavirus pandemic continues, Quebec Premier François Legault says the situation is mostly stable in the province over the last five weeks but there is an uptick in cases in two regions.

There are concerns about the progression of the virus in Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean and the northern part of Lanaudière.

Legault said Tuesday the situation has improved in Quebec City while Montreal is stable at the moment, despite a high number of infections.

“So, we are averaging around 1,000 new cases every day,” Legault said. “On the other hand, when we dissect the regions one by one, we see that in some places there are big improvements, but in some places, in other places, there is deterioration.”

Despite a spike in COVID-19 hospitalizations on Tuesday, Legault said the province’s health network has been able to withstand the second wave so far but that doesn’t make it immune from a “tsunami of hospitalizations.”

READ MORE:Can’t wear a mask? Why demands for medical proof have experts worried

He also encouraged Quebecers to keep abiding by public health directives — especially those in regions where the virus is quickly progressing.

“Our situation continues to be better than in Europe and in the United States and I thank you all for that,” he said. “But we must do better.”

Legault’s update comes as Quebec’s COVID-19 caseload stands at 108,889 after 871 new infections were reported Tuesday. There have been 93,316 recoveries to date.

The province recorded 34 additional deaths linked to the health crisis. Five of them occurred in the last 24 hours.

Health authorities say 25 newly attributed deaths took place between Oct. 27 and Nov. 1, while four others occurred before Oct. 27.

The death toll has reached 6,317 as of Tuesday. It is the largest death count linked to the pandemic in the country.

The number of hospitalizations spiked by 27 to 526. Of those patients, 85 are in intensive care, an increase of four from the previous day.

Health authorities say 15,512 tests were conducted on Sunday, the latest day for which that information is available. So far, 3,169,438 tests have been conducted in the province.

Click to play video 'Coronavirus: WHO chief urges leaders to ‘step up’ to stop COVID-19 spikes' 1:46 Coronavirus: WHO chief urges leaders to ‘step up’ to stop COVID-19 spikes

Coronavirus: WHO chief urges leaders to ‘step up’ to stop COVID-19 spikes

With files from the Canadian Press

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Article Source

Pinterest