Quebec ‘not heading in right direction’ to hold holiday gatherings as COVID-19 hospitalizations jump

The Quebec government will make a final decision regarding holiday gatherings on Dec. 11 as the second wave of the novel coronavirus pandemic progresses in the hard-hit province.

Premier François Legault made the announcement Tuesday, citing a high number of cases and hospitalizations linked to COVID-19.

“Currently, we’re not heading in the right direction,” he told reporters in Quebec City.

Read more: Coronavirus hospitalizations jump as Quebec adds 1,117 new cases, 28 more deaths

The change comes as Quebec had already revised its Christmas plan and what is allowed over the holidays. The province had given the green light to two gatherings during a four-day period from Dec. 24 to 27.

On Tuesday, there are more than 700 people in hospital — a high during the second wave of the crisis.

Legault said that he is thinking of health-care workers on the front lines, who have been working tirelessly in the past nine months.

“If hospitalizations continue to increase, it will be difficult to take that risk,” Legault said.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Article Source

Pinterest