Quebec’s premier is urging the federal government to ban non-essential international flights as the novel coronavirus health crisis rages on in the country.
François Legault issued the demand Tuesday, saying he was “very worried” about people returning from vacation abroad while COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations remain high in the province.
“I am asking Mr. Trudeau and the federal government to block all non-essential flights,” he told reporters in Montreal.
Legault says he doesn’t understand how some people can continue to travel or head south on vacation while the pandemic continues to gain ground.
Quebec reported 1,386 new cases and 55 additional deaths earlier in the day. The caseload has reached 245,734, while recoveries have topped 217,575. The death toll stands at 9,142.
Hospitalizations rose by nine to 1,500. Of those patients, 212 are in intensive care, a drop of five from the previous day.
The province provided 20,412 tests on Sunday, the latest day for which that information is available. So far, more than 5.4 million tests have been given.
Health Minister Christian Dubé called on Quebecers to remain prudent even if the daily tally of new cases reported Tuesday is lower compared to previous weeks.
“We must continue our efforts if we want to improve the situation in our hospitals, which is still worrying,” he wrote on social media.
© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.