Quebec raises coronavirus alert level for Montreal, other regions as cases jump

The alert levels for the Montreal, Montérégie, Chaudière-Appalaches and Bas-Saint-Laurent regions have been raised amid an upward trend of novel coronavirus cases.

Quebec Premier François Legault announced the update Tuesday, saying a total of eight regions in the province are now in the yellow zone, which calls for an early warning.

As a result, Legault is asking citizens to limit their private gatherings as much as possible to stem the tide of COVID-19.

“The situation is critical and worrisome,” he said. “And we have to react now. It’s the responsibility of each Quebecer.”

Legault said he is worried for children and that the province cannot close schools. The uptick in cases could also overwhelm hospitals, he added.

“Right now we have a health-care system that is very fragile,” said Quebec Health Minister Christian Dubé.

READ MORE: Coronavirus cases reported at 172 schools in Quebec, education ministry says

Dr. Horacio Arruda, the director of Quebec public health, said he is concerned by the rise in cases and people need to be more vigilant.

“Whether we like it or not, it’s a question of life or death,” he said.

Health authorities reported 292 new cases on Tuesday, bringing the province’s total to 65,554. It is the third consecutive day in which more than 275 cases were recorded in a 24-hour period.

Five additional deaths were reported from the previous day, though authorities say only one death occurred in the past 24 hours. The province’s death toll attributable to the virus stands at 5,785.

The number of hospitalizations also spiked by nine for a total of 133. Of them, 23 people are in intensive care — an increase of four.

Quebec gave 21,500 tests on Sunday, the latest day for which that data is available. So far, 1,932,847 tests have been carried out.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Article Source

Pinterest