Quebec has no intention of lifting current restrictions to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus in regions on red alert as the province had its seventh straight day of more than 1,000 new cases.
“The number of new cases was stabilizing but we’re now seeing an increase in recent days,” Premier François Legault said Tuesday.
Legault said the situation is stable in most regions, but the second wave of the health crisis is taking hold in five areas, including Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean and the Gaspésie regions. As a result, Legault is calling on Quebecers in those hard-hit areas to limit their socializing to stop community transmission.
Public health measures will stay in effect until Nov. 23, but Legault stopped short of saying more restrictions will be rolled out.
“We don’t think it’s necessary right now to add more measures,” he told reporters.
Quebec reported 1,162 new cases and 38 additional deaths linked to COVID-19, the illness caused by the virus, on Tuesday. This includes nine fatalities that occurred in the last 24 hours.
The caseload has reached 117,151, while there have been more than 99,000 recoveries since the health crisis began. The province’s death toll remains the highest in Canada. It stands at 6,493.
Hospitalizations dropped by six to 534. Of those patients, six more are in intensive care compared to the previous day, bringing the total to 82.
The latest information provided by Quebec shows 18,911 tests were given Saturday. So far, there have been 3,342,770 tests.
— With files from The Canadian Press
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.