Quebec is boosting the size of public indoor and outdoor gatherings as the province continues to ease measures related to the novel coronavirus pandemic.
The government announced Thursday it will allow up to 250 people to congregate in public spaces starting Aug. 3. The previous maximum had been set at 50.
The increase has been given the green light by Quebec’s public health department. In a statement, Dr. Richard Massé said event organizers have been diligent in ensuring public health directives are still respected to curb the spread of COVID-19.
“However, everyone’s collaboration, particularly through the application of physical distancing, hand washing and wearing a mask or face cover when indicated, is essential to ensure the success of this new stage,” he said.
The eased restriction does not apply to gatherings at private residences, where a maximum of 10 people are permitted inside or outside. This includes homes, backyards and chalets.
Quebec recorded 142 new coronavirus cases on Thursday. The health crisis has led to a total of 58,080 infections since it first bore down on the province in March.
Authorities reported no new deaths in Quebec on Thursday. There have been 5,662 fatalities to date.
The number of hospitalizations dropped by 14 to 221. Of them, 14 people are intensive care — a decrease of two from the previous day.
Quebec’s latest data from Tuesday shows 14,725 tests were administered that day. The daily testing goal is 14,000.
The province continues to have the highest caseload and death toll in the country. There are more than 112,000 cases in Canada as of Thursday morning.
At least 50,505 people have recovered from the disease.
— With files from the Canadian Press
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.