Quebec will use federal coronavirus exposure app amid second wave

Quebec is giving the green light to the federal novel coronavirus exposure application in the province nearly one month after officials said they would not follow Ottawa’s lead.

Health Minister Christian Dubé announced the about-face Tuesday as COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations are on the rise. The province is working out the final details, he added.

“The simple answer is that yes, we will have the application,” he told reporters.

Last month, Dubé said the province, oppositions parties and the public had concerns over the “COVID Alert” app launched by the Canadian government in July to mitigate the spread of the virus.

Read more: Stay home and don’t gather in parks as Montreal enters partial coronavirus lockdown, mayor pleads

Premier François Legault defended his government’s plan to implement restrictions in Montreal and other regions as they enter the province’s highest maximum alert level.

“We are capable of breaking this second wave,” he said, adding the province had to act as cases rise.

The red zone designation comes with additional restrictions to stem the tide of the virus, including prohibiting social gatherings and closing bars, theatres and cinemas. The new measures comes into effect on Thursday for a 28-day period.

Legault said the objective to limit citizens’ exposure to the respiratory illness and he called specifically on young Quebecers to abide by the public health directives.

“The solution is in your hands,” he said.

READ MORE: Red alert level brings partial 28-day lockdown to 3 Quebec regions including Montreal, Quebec City

Quebec reported 799 new cases Tuesday as the health crisis once again bears down on the province hardest hit by the pandemic.

Seven more deaths linked to COVID-19 were also recorded. Health authorities say two people died in the last 24-hour period, while the other five deaths occurred earlier in the month.

The caseload, the highest in the country, stands at 73,450. The death toll is now 5,833.

Hospitalizations jumped by 35 from the previous day to 247. Of those patients, four more are in intensive care for a total of 41.

The number of tests given on Sunday, the latest day for which that information is available, is 26,366. To date, 2,309,387 tests have been administered.

Click to play video 'Quebec places three regions on red alert' 3:55 Quebec places three regions on red alert

Quebec places three regions on red alert

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Article Source

Pinterest