Quebecers urged to abide by health measures as coronavirus deaths, hospitalizations rise

Quebecers are asked to continue abiding by public health measures to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus as the second wave of the pandemic continues.

Premier François Legault said the priority is to keep schools open as the province reported 877 new infections, 12 more deaths and 33 additional patients in hospital Tuesday.

“The number of new cases has stabilized around 1,000 a day but we still see an increase in hospitalizations an deaths,” he said.

Legault said citizens’ collective efforts in recent weeks, which include widespread restrictions in designated red zones, have prevented daily tallies from spiking. He acknowledged the measures are difficult for many.

“Everyone has a role to play in this mission and I’m counting on you all,” he said.

Read more: Montreal’s east end gets new COVID-19 testing clinic

Quebec, the province hardest hit by the COVID-19 health crisis, has seen 95,216 cases and 6,055 deaths to date.

On Tuesday, officials said one death previously attributed to the virus was unrelated and 90 cases that had been identified as positive were in fact, negative.

The number of hospitalizations now stands at 565. Of those patients, 100 are in intensive care, an increase of eight from the previous day.

The province carried out 16,291 tests Sunday, the latest day for which that information is available.

Click to play video 'Coronavirus: Quebec government says sanitary measures are having an impact' 1:46 Coronavirus: Quebec government says sanitary measures are having an impact

Coronavirus: Quebec government says sanitary measures are having an impact

With files from the Canadian Press

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Article Source

Pinterest